Monday, September 14, 2009

Sam's Birthday

I (Sam) celebrated a milestone birthday this year and it really didn't turn out anything like I expected ! Let's just say that all I was expecting for my birthday, was a quiet trip to Bali with David. What I got in the end was a lot more !

A few months ago, David asked me what I wanted for my birthday and I told him that I wanted to go to Bali. I left it at that and didn't give it another thought. David however had much more in mind. I learned later (after the surprise was revealed) that back in June, David had sent out an e-mail to our family and friends, telling them that my birthday was coming up and that he wanted some input for a surprise multimedia birthday card and presentation he was going to put together for me. He also mentioned that he was taking me to Bali and that anyone was welcome to join us. I honestly don't think David expected the wonderful response that he got.

Meanwhile, our good friend Elaine contacted us in August to say that she would be going to Perth to visit some friends and was thinking of making a stop-over in Singapore from the 7th to the 11th September. I told her this would be fine as we were going to Bali on the 11th. Elaine arrived on the 7th and it was good to spend time with her and show her around Singapore. On the evening of the 10th, David suggested that we take Elaine out for dinner, as she would be leaving for Perth the following day. We decided that we would take her to one of the restaurants at The Fairmont Singapore, but David suggested that before dinner we should take her to the bar on the 70th floor of the Swissotel to see the stunning views of the city.

That evening we met David in the lobby of the Swissotel and took the elevator up to the 70th floor. I didn't suspect anything when we got off on the 69th floor, but I did start getting nervous when David blindfolded me. He then led me forward a few steps and after a minute or so he removed the blindfolds. In was in that moment that I got the surprise of my life ! We were in a function room and standing in front of me were my closest friends - Jenny and our god daughter Sabrina from Seattle, Yolanda and her husband Rico from Hong Kong, Mandy from Calgary, and Veronica and Cathy from Vancouver. The rest of Jenny, Cathy and Mandy's family from South Africa were also present (their mom Mrs. Lai Kan, their brother Derek, his wife Emilia and their son Damian). I learned later that it was Mrs. Lai Kan's 70th birthday and that her family had planned a surprise birthday and reunion for her the previous week in Hong Kong. I was very glad they were able to plan it so that they could celebrate both our birthdays in this part of the world.

I was overwhelmed, teary-eyed and touched that they came all this way to Singapore to celebrate my birthday. What truly wonderful friends we have ! The surprise got even better when I learnt that they were all going to Bali with David and I (including Elaine, who really just made up the part about going to Perth). I was totally stunned as I didn't suspect a thing.

After a delicious dinner, we cut the birthday cake and then David showed the presentation that he had been working on for months (now I have an explanation for all those late nights at the office!). David has a great way of telling stories using photos and in many ways this was a pictorial story of my life, from the time I was born until now. It was very emotional for me watching this presentation, not because it was sad, but because it reminded me of how truly blessed and fortunate I am. I was touched by the birthday messages and greetings from friends and family at the end of the presentation, and I really appreciated the sentiments.

I was spoilt by family and friends with some lovely gifts that included cash (some of which I have used to purchase a ticket to attend a talk that Deepak Chopra is giving here in Singapore), a birthday dinner in Bali, a book, photo frames, a spa certificate for 8 treatments (I am looking forward to being pampered for 6 hours!), a lovely Cole Haan purse, flowers and two beautiful wooden candle holders from South Africa.

This birthday will definitely be a memorable occasion and one that will remain very special to me. I am so grateful to everyone who came, participated and contributed in one way or another ! I am especially grateful to David for planning and pulling off the biggest surprise, for being the most kind, thoughtful and generous husband and for the wonderful life that we have together !



The Menu for the evening
Kudos to the chef and staff at the Swissotel for a wonderful birthday dinner ! Special thanks to David for designing a very special and personalized menu card !



Birthday Cake
A cake to celebrate two occasions - my birthday and Mrs. Lai Kan's birthday !


Gift from David
If the surprise birthday dinner with friends and going to Bali wasn't enough, my wonderful hubby had one more surprise for me........
Back in April when we were in Vancouver for a visit, we were invited to our good friends Anjila and Pradeep's home for dinner. At their home, on the fireplace mantel was a stunning Inukshuk sculpture. We both admired this piece and thought it was beautiful. We later found out from Anjila that she had purchased it from a gallery in Whistler and it was by a Canadian sculptor named Allan Waidman. Anjila put us in touch with the gallery, but unfortunately they didn't have many pieces by Allan and we didn't like any of the ones they had left. After we returned to Singapore, I put the idea of buying an Inukshuk out of my mind (after all there was no way we were going to find an iconic Canadian symbol in this part of the world), but David had another idea in mind. As a surprise for me, David contacted Allan shortly after we returned to Singapore and commissioned him to work on an Inukshuk for me (us). David started collaborating with Allan from the start by selecting the type of stone and then the particular design. The end result - a beautiful Inukshuk sculpture made from BC Chlorite stone, standing 14 inches tall and 16 inches wide, and weighing approximately 30 pounds.
Fortunately, getting it from Alberta (where Allan lives) to Singapore was made easy by Mandy, who brought it with her and checked it in as hand luggage. We are very grateful to Mandy, as it must have been challenging (not to mention a pain) lugging the heavy wooden crate all the way to Singapore (with a one week stop-over in Hong Kong before coming to Singapore).
I had no idea what was in the crate when David gave it to me, so it was a lovely surprise when the crate was opened. We are both really thrilled with our Inukshuk. It is a beautiful piece and we have since found a special place for it in our home.

No comments:

Post a Comment